In 2024 the club will be running a Park Run League again. It will start in February and will run to the end of December. Hopefully this will motivate your running and get more members meeting up at Saturday Park Runs. Juniors aged 4 to 14 can also join in by doing one of the junior 2k park runs or they can take part in 5k park runs. If you would like to join contact email@example.com.
The league table will be shown here and updated each month and the rules and the way the league works is described below
The 2023 league was a big success. The winner was Chris Keenan who trains with the Tortoises group on Monday nights and took part in the Pennington Flash Parkrun. He managed to achieve a PB every month apart form the final month in December and ended the season with -388 points. Stuart Carter was second with – 77 points running in the Bolton ParkRun. Two juniors were third and fourth. Top junior was Ruby Pilling who achieved a PB every month up to October in the 5k Bolton Park Run ending with -48 points. In fourth place was Isla Taylor who ran consistently all year in the 2k Ramsbottom Junior ParkRun and finished with – 8 points
Every month from Feb to December you submit your best time done in that month. This must be done at the same park run as your base time. You get a score based on the difference between this time and your base time. For example if you have a base time of 21 mins and your best time in February is 21:15 you get 15 points. If you get faster and your best time in February is 19:50 then you get minus 10 points. If your February time is your first Park Run this year it will become your base time and you will get 0 points for February
If you miss a month you will get 0 points but once you have scored 0 points twice you will get 120 points for any further months that you miss. If you join part way through the year missed months will be scored retrospectively as described above.
At the end of the year the lowest scoring senior and junior runner will receive an award at our annual presentation night.
If in any month you beat your PB/BaseTime and score negative points then the new PB becomes your new base time
Doing the scoring in this manner equalizes the league so everyone has a real chance of winning regardless of age, gender, running experience etc.
If you want to take part please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your base time and when sending in your results each month always make the e-mail subject ‘BTC Park Run League’
If you are not a ParkRun member it is free to register and free to run. Go to https://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/
- Runners will need to be set up on parkrun and choose Bolton Metro Tri Club as one of your associated clubs (you are allowed up to 5 associated clubs – Bolton Metro Tri Club used to be our official name 15 years ago. At some point we will get ParkRun to change it)
- Times issued by parkrun are final and are the only times that will be accepted – never mind what your watch said!
- Can you have more than one go at the parkrun in the month? Yes, you can do the event as many times as you like in the month; the fastest time will count.
- Can I do different park runs each month? Only times done at the same Park Run as your base time can be submitted. So choose your local park run where you can take part regularly. For most members this will be the Bolton Park Run at Leverhulme Park or the Bolton Junior Park Run at Queens Park.
- What happens if I beat my PB/Base time? If this happens you will get a negative score and reduce your overall tally. Remember the Base time is not fixed so the new PB will then count as your Base time.
- What happens if it is a tie? In the unlikely event of a tie at the end of the season, there will be a run-off in January 2025 at the Bolton Park Run.
Read more posts